Friday, December 29, 2006

Verizon (oops, I mean Idearc) Strong Book Growth?

I received the following email today from a contact back east. Can anyone with inside information shed some light on this?


Hi Dick,


When I heard your webcast the other month about the growing internet "yellow" pages I thought for sure the next Verizon book would be thinner than last years. It sure seemed like everyone was piking the end of the yellow pages in the mp3. To my surprise the Verizon book 49% larger...that's right 49% larger than last years.


Last year's yellow pages (Verizon in Lancaster, PA) was 509 pages. This year's yellow pages are 757 pages! Whoa! (The book arrived on my door step today.)


I can't believe how many advertisers upped their full page ads to 2 full pages. I also can't believe how many lawyers grabbed 4 full page ads (instead of 2 pages).


Since you're an industry insider did Verizon run some kind of special to get all these companies to buy bigger ads? Or is Lancaster, PA just 10 years behind the times (I used to live in L.A. and when i moved here a few years ago...it sure felt like I've moved back in time) and don't know any better...that they should be putting all their bucks into internet advertising? Searching for a plumber online locally is a fruitless effort.


Wishing you the best of health.


Vic K

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I am concerned the decline of yellow page advertising
has begun, in less than a year
Idearc media has decided to put
the Verizon Superpages to rest.
Most of the graphic artists at idearc graphic facility in pennsylvania are being let go
and the design work is being shipped to india. (Like Yellowbook)
Who in India will will be purchasing products or services from yellowpage advertises in the US!
Idearc Media Is out of touch with its advertisers, investors, and employees

Paul

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked for an independent directory for a few years and the leads we received from Verizon were no good. Most of the numbers in their book were disconnected or inaccurate. I'm currently working as an office manager for a moving company and I handle all the advertising. Verizon's new thing is to do a "buy one get one free". They told us that it's the same price to get a full page PLUS a half page as opposed to only a full page. I find it weird because they also told us to put it in the same heading. There are only 2-3 ads in that section in the first place. I find it pretty ridiculous. That would explain the increase in pages for the latest books.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been BATTLING with idearc for 2 1/2 years on my small business account and they still are sending me monthly notices and today I received a bill for thirty cents. They refuse to close an account. I WOULD NEVER recommend them to ANYONE. You can NEVER speak with anyone of authority and they ALWAYS transfer you to someone else. I have a stack of statements and letters that I have sent to them over this period it is awful.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Yellow Page Qatar said...

Yellow Pages Directory is great way for helping to growth the business in any field

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home